Church of St Egidius
Church of St Egidius – Bardejov
The most important monument on the main square in Bardejov, which is included in the List of World Cultural and Natural Heritage, is the parish church of St Egidius.
The nave and the church as a whole were completed in 1513-1518. Generally simple church architecture contains many valuable details and works of art. These include 11 Gothic wing altars built between 1460 and 1520, the side altar of the Nativity of the Lord, which is considered the most valuable. The statue on the altar of St. Barbara, probably made in the workshop of Master Paul of Levoča, is considered to be the pinnacle of Slovak carving.
Pope John Paul II. appointed the Church in 2001 as a smaller basilica.