Levice Castle and Mansion Dobó
Levice Castle is the most important landmark of the town of Levice. It has been standing here since the end of the 13th century. In the past, it was a guard fortress that guarded the road leading to the Slovak mining towns.
At the time of the Turkish wars, when the Turks occupied this area, its role was very important. In the summer of 1664, Turkish soldiers suffered a severe defeat that stopped them from advancing to the central part of the country.
This battle is known as the Battle of the Left. After 1709 the castle gradually lost its importance as a military fortress.
The castle of Dobó bears the name of its owner, Count Stephen Dobo, one of the heroes of the Turkish war. The chateau was built in the second half of the 16th century. It is the largest structure of the entire chateau complex. Today the castle is the seat of the Tekov Museum, which exhibits archaeological, historical, ethnographic and natural collections gathered in the region. Various events take place in the castle – the castle festival is now more attractive because it is held in the newly constructed amphitheater.