Virgin Mary of Trnava
The image of the merciful Virgin Mary in Trnava can be found in the Baroque chapel in the Basilica of St. Nicholas. Our Lady of Trnava is a copy of the painting from the Basilica of St. Boniface and St. Alexius in Rome.
Tradition says that St. Alexius left Rome for Syria and lived there as a hermit. After many years, he returned from Syria with the image of the Virgin Mary and lived in Rome under a staircase in his parents’ home. After his death, his parents finally learned that it was their son. At that point they had built a chapel and placed in it a picture. Later, the church was built over the tomb of St. Alexius.
It is assumed that a copy of the copy placed in Trnava was arranged by the Cardinal during his studies. After returning in 1585, he laid a painting in the Basilica of St. Nicholas.
In 1663 bloody tears appeared in the painting. Subsequently, Hungary was threatened by Turkish troops. However, the Turks did not attack Trnava, even if they looted the surroundings. The picture cried three times during the war in 1708, namely on 5 July, 10 August and 11 August. A commission was then set up to investigate crying cases.
Worship of the Virgin Mary of Trnava
Based on the results of the investigation, the Archbishop of Esztergom Kristián approved that the Virgin Mary of Trnava be worshiped publicly on December 19, 1708. In 1710, a plague broke out in Trnava. The helpless people from the city, headed by the city council, asked the Virgin Mary for help. After the previous period of fasting, they celebrated the Virgin Mary and served the Holy Mass in a blessed picture. They prayed, fasted, and on November 21, 1710, on the day of the Virgin Mary, they took the picture and walked the streets with it. On this day, the miracle was over.
The worship of the Virgin Mary later went through periods of blossom and disinterest. After years of decline, worship was revived in 1940, when a new tradition was established. Nowadays, believers visit the painting to ask for divine help and thank for the graces granted.