St Martin’s Cathedral
St Martin’s Cathedral in Bratislava is the largest, oldest and most magnificent church in Bratislava. The impressive St Martin’s Cathedral in terms of dimensions and importance, is the largest church building in Bratislava. It has more than seven hundred years of history, began to build it after 1221 as a Romanesque basilica, which was replaced in the 14th and 15 century Gothic temple with three equally tall ships. In the past he was in the castle approval of the popes.
Originally he had two patrons, he used the patrocinium of the defunct temple in Bratislava Castle and also an older sub-church that originally stood in its place. In the 17th century, the consecration to the Great Savior was transferred to the temple entrusted to the Jesuits, and only the patron saint of St. Martin from Tours.
Pope Innocent III approved the request of King Emerich of Hungary. In 1563-1830 this temple was intended for coronations. The first crowned monarch was Maximillian II. This was followed by another 18 coronations, including the coronation of Maria Theresa, on 25 June 1741. The last king to receive the royal crown of St. Stephen under the main statue of St. Martin, Ferdinand V was September 28, 1830. A non-exhaustive list of 11 crowned kings and 8 royal husbands is placed on a plate on the inside of the north wall.
In 1732-1734 the church’s ground plan was extended with a chapel, which is today one of the most valuable artistic monuments of Bratislava. The Baroque tower was destroyed by a fire caused by lightning in 1833. It was only 3 years after the last coronation that took place in the house.
Few cities can be proud of having held coronation celebrations. Bratislava received this privilege for a long 267 years, when the coronation of the Hungarian kings took place. It was crowned 10 kings, 1 queen and 7 king’s wives, who were also Czech kings, German kings and boasted the imperial crown of the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation.
Today, the Slovaks are no longer king, and yet Bratislava lives as a coronation ceremony. Their modern history began on September 6, 2003. Each year, the coronation of one of the kings at a time of popular coronation celebrations is simulated.
St. Stephen’s Crown
The Multiple Presence of the St. Stephen’s Crown in St. Dome’s Cathedral Martin recalls that in the past he was a coronation church. The gilded replica of this insignia has an honorary place at the highest point, at the top of the temple tower. Its glass form is located behind the main altar and is depicted with the coronation cloak and scepter. The coronation list on the sanctuary wall is artistically complemented by the traditional scene of angels carrying the Hungarian crown as a gift of God to the faithful Christian king of Hungary.
St. Martin´s Cathedral
The tower is 85 meters high and at its top is a 2 × 2 m large pillow carrying copies of the Hungarian royal crown. The imitation is a maximum of one meter high and weighs 300 kilograms.
Originally, six bells hung in the tower of St. Martin’s Cathedral. Today the tower has 2 bells, the larger of which is called Wedderin.